Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BACK TO SINGAPORE

January 2011

I had a week in Singapore before Art came to visit and tried to make the most of my time here. I took a photography class, and ended being the only student that day so I got a nice 1-1 lesson! I finally learned how to use my camera in Manual mode, and my teacher basically told me that my Canon Rebel sucked and was outdated (he really really hated Canon for some reason). I told him that I cannot afford a new one for while so we would need to make do with this one! Here are some shots from class and around Singapore.

From class...

Around our hotel...

CNY Bunnies on Orchard Road
CNY Market at Takashimaya Mall

I thought I'd also take advantage of my time and try to get in the best shape possible (goal: a six pack, but I'm still pretty far from there!). There is a nice gym at the Pan Pacific where we're staying but I really wanted to do classes too since I hate running and the elliptical gets boring fast. I did a free 3-day trial at Fitness First which was only a 5 minute walk away...I tried hip hop, jazz, step, and some yoga classes. I did up to 3 classes a day so after the 3 days needless to say I was very very sore. Gender roles were switched because the hip hop class taught by the dude was very feminine (think: Beyonce, booty dropping, hair whipping), and the one taught by the girl was more hard core, street style. I also realized how big a difference the teacher makes because in the one hot yoga class, the teacher was more like a dictator, "Downward dog-ya?" instead of having things flow and being mentally calm. I was so stressed out during that class because she was calling people out on having "improper" form. Minnie also goes to Fitness First so we went out to sushi once after our workout and I also met her personal trainer, Ping (Josh calls him Ping Pong).

One night, we grabbed some Mexican food with Allie's friend from college Radtha who was a Tri-delt and her cousin, and her cousin's friend, Janika. After Mexican, which was the most expensive Mexican meal I've ever had, we went to an Irish pub where there was an amazing live "band"--just 2 guys--but they sang Pianoman, Don't Stop Believing, Wonderwall, etc. and were actually SO good. I loved it! Then one of the girls said her cousin was having a party, so we all went to her house greeted by one of her roommates, a small Japanese dude, already wasted, wearing a witch hat. I knew it was going to be a good night! So the one Indian girl, Arpita, lives with this little Japanese guy, Yuto, and then an Australian-Asian guy, Andrew. When they described their relationship, the Yuto automatically said that he was a pet, in particular a Panda (no hesitation). Andrew was the "boss" and Arpita was the "sister." What a fun house! We went dancing until 4am at this outdoor club called Mimolette which played all of my favorite music :) A fun, fun night!


No comments:

Post a Comment