Monday, February 14, 2011

LAST WEEK IN SINGAPORE


So after moving out of the Pan Pacific, I headed 5 minutes up Killiney Road to Minnie and Josh's. Their friends from San Francisco, Ruby and Erwin, were visiting for the weekend as well before heading off to a cruise in SE Asia! Ruby is 4 months pregnant so she must have been dying in the Singapore heat.

We went to the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel (I had never been!) and watched a beautiful sunset/people watched from the 57th floor (lots of unattractive speedos) at the infinity pool--it looks like it just drops off!).



Afterward, we had a lovely dinner at Indochine (although the service was poor), and went to a bar called Timbre after we were lured by a live band performance of Katy Perry's "Fireworks."


On Sunday, I had brunch with May, a girl I met at Kristin/Brian's wedding in Florence. For some reason, I thought that everyone else at the wedding also moved to South Africa with Kristin/Brian, but duh--they were still in Singapore! We had a lovely brunch at P.S. Cafe at Dempsey and I had the most amazing quiche and salad with figs! Hadn't eaten a fig in years...
May is such a jetsetter and is heading off to San Francisco and then Mexico City starting this spring.

Afterward, I headed to Sentosa Resorts World to catch the last day of the Valentino exhibit. His dresses were absolutely gorgeous and I was happily surprised by the extent of the collection!





For most of my week, during the day, I had a free trial pass to True Yoga (right down the street off of Orchard) and would do hot yoga, bollywood dance, or some other yoga class. I decided to run (in the 90 degree heat) to hot yoga class one day--bad idea...I was sweating SO much even at the beginning of class when we were doing the easy stretches. The teacher probably thought I couldn't even handle a simple arm stretch! Bollywood was SO much fun--all of these "aunties" would wear belly shirts and get REALLY dressed up for class (note--this is just like a group class at the gym) with fancy skirts, bangles, etc. They were definitely regulars! And the teacher was REALLY serious, but about fun moves because it's Bollywood! So that made class kind of awkward. Then in the afternoon I went to volunteer at the Institute of Mental Health or Evergreen Bees tutoring program. The student makes such a difference--one day I had to tutor the most unmotivated, A.D.D. problem-child and it was seriously like pulling teeth and the next day I got paired with an excellent girl who would lead our tutoring sessions!

On Valentine's Day, Josh and Minnie were so nice to insist I stay for dinner, and Josh made us a delicious meal of shaken beef, ma pao tofu, and the spoon veggie! I bought some chocolate cake from Bakerzin for dessert--it was so yummy! It last only a day more.



My last night, I wanted to cook dinner for my lovely hosts and decided to cook Asian cuisine (though I rarely make anything other than pasta), and used what I remember from my mom's cooking and it turned out pretty good (I think...). I made some soy-glazed salmon with sesame, edamame, stir-fry tofu, and then Radha brought some delicious sweet plum fries from my favorite place in the 313 Somerset Mall! For dessert, we hit up my favorite Honeymoon Dessert at 313 :)

My last day was spent gymming it up at Fitness First with Minnie and Josh, followed by binge eating at Mos Burger and then eating more and more around the food courts of Ion and Takashimaya. I even went back to Mos Burger to get one for the plane--3 in a day!

I was so sad to leave Singapore, but I can definitely see myself back here again someday, so it's just goodbye for now :) Byebye 313 Food Republic!!





No comments:

Post a Comment